Adventures in Utah


Moab, UT

Moab, UT

When we came down in altitude from the mountains of Colorado, we were relieved to be feeling the warm dry air of the desert wafting through our windows as it was blowing East. When we first drove into Colorado to have our RV repaired, it was snowing and the entire time we lived there it was kind of chilly so we were ready to move on to a warmer climate.

As soon as we turned off Interstate 70 onto 191 we found a perfect campsite on public land in the desert, about 30 minutes out of Moab. We called that place home for the next 2 weeks. In the distance you could still see the snow capped mountains of Colorado and a Utah peak called Mt. Waas. We drove into Moab a couple of times to fill up on water, buy groceries, do laundry, and to dump the tanks. The spot to us was very magical as it was the first time we were spending time out in the desert.

I wanted to explore the desert one evening before we turned in, so I decided to walk around out there. It wasn’t long before I stumbled upon what resembled a totem pole lying down and covered by ants and sand. I’m not too sure if the Native Americans in that region used totems so I say totem pole with caution as I do not wish to offend anyone but that’s what it looked like to me. The only thing left to do was to re-erect it. Once I stood it up I realized how tall it was and I was filled with a pride from it when I returned to camp and saw it standing there alone like a sentinel, quietly warding evil spirits.

On our last days in the desert we decided to check out Arches National Park. We were stunned with the immense beauty and complexity of the landscape and the geological structures. We visited nearly every one of the monoliths, taking time to climb in the canyons and reach heights other tourists dared not to. We were blessed with spectacular views of the world through ancient looking portals. Of course we took pictures and to tell you the truth, those are some of my favorite thus far.

We continued on our adventure West to Page Arizona. We stopped along the way to take pictures at Monument Valley. Once we arrived in Page, we rented our Kayaks, strapped them to the back of the RV, and headed to Antelope Canyon. It was so neat to see how clear the water was and how high the canyon walls were. We kayaked all the way into the canyon and beached our kayaks so we could hike further in. The walls of the canyon begins to close in on you and we got to experience a new kind of silence, Stone Silence. The silence of the rock in the canyon was a serene feeling. It felt ancient and wise. You could reach out with both hands and place your palms on the smooth red sandstone walls. After about an hour of hiking, we got back to our kayaks and paddled back to the launch where I proceeded to carry the kayaks one-by-one up the 1/4 mile ramp back to the RV. We made it back to the rental company just in time to drop them off before they closed. I swear we are so lucky.

Monument Valley

Monument Valley

We had to find a place to park somewhere in Utah because there was no reception for our AT&T hotspot, and if there’s no internet connection we can’t work. We went to a few public land spots while traveling Northbound on 89 but none of them had enough reception to justify staying there for the next work day. As we were searching for another public land spot we noticed that we passed an RV park out in the middle of the desert and we just so happened to test the signal for the wifi. That seemed to be the only spot that had any good reception. Anyways, we kept driving to the next public land and after a short journey along a treacherously bumpy road, we decided to head back to the RV park. The place was called Cottonwood RV Park in Big Water, Utah. When we arrived it seemed like there was no one there to speak to. Maybe it was because we pulled up after dark and well after closing time. We opted to sleep in the RV just off to the side of the park on a dirt road that looked like it was seldomly used.

In the morning, we woke up like normal and I started the work day with more than enough signal to work. We cut it close again but we learned our lesson the first time when we didn’t do the check beforehand in Manitou Springs Colorado. We headed over into the park around noon Eastern, 10 am MST, and pulled up to find the park’s attendant working hard spreading gravel for a new RV site. We asked him if he had room and he mentioned we were lucky because he had one spot left. He led us to it at the end of the park next to some dilapidated trailers he was using for storage and workshops. He offered to take us into town to get cash because that was the only payment method he accepted. We took him up on that offer as well as a more exciting one. He actually had 2 quads he said he would like to take us out on. He would ride one and Alessandra and I would ride in tandem on the other.

He took us to a gas station about 15 minutes back towards Page, Arizona where we took out the money we owed him for 2 nights. I think it was $60. When we got back we told him that we would go out on the quads the next day with him as we were pretty tired from all the excitement from the day and night before. He said that was alright because he needed to take care of his sick partner who had not been doing too good at that time.

The next day came, I finished work, helped out around the park moving some things, and did some laundry. Finally, he offered again and we said we were ready. He took us out into the desert for 2 whole hours. He told us to beware of the Green Mojave Snake who would chase you if you startled it, he showed us where oil miners had come and gone, he showed us canyons, and he waited on us as we hiked to parts he told us were interesting.

By the time we finished the trip, Ale and I were red from the dust of the desert with huge grins on our faces from the trip. This was the first time that someone had offered so much to us just because they could get a feel that we were good people. We proceeded to help him paint the new shower and bathroom that was recently built, just as a small token of our gratitude. I made his partner my ginger, lemon, and honey tonic because she was vomiting. I think maybe she tried to drink it while it was hot but she might have just been too sick. Ron at Cottonwood RV park was a super host to us… out in the middle of the desert. You never know when you’ll find an Angel.

Our time in Utah came to a close as we were heading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to meet up with Ben and Charita. We stopped at Horseshoe bend, but I’ll save that for the next post. In the meantime, keep your eyes and hearts open for Angels willing to lend a hand or guide you on your way through life.

Next on the blog ~ Making our way towards North Rim of the Grand Canyon to meet Ben and Charita

alessandra isola